Anwar approves additional RM1 mil for Penang Hindu crematorium

PRIME Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has approved an additional RM1 mil for the Penang Hindu Endowment Board (LWHPP) to facilitate the construction of a modern Hindu crematorium in Bagan.

LWHPP chairman RSN Rayer said the latest allocation brings the total funding for the project to RM2.5 mil, up from the RM1.5 mil previously approved by Anwar.

He said the initial allocation was insufficient to complete the project, which will become Penang’s second modern electric crematorium after the facility in Batu Lanchang.

The facility is expected to serve the Hindu community, particularly those living in Seberang Perai, where access to suitable cremation facilities remains limited.

“This additional approval reflects the concern and commitment of the MADANI Government and the Prime Minister in ensuring that the needs of Malaysia’s multiracial and multireligious communities are given fair attention,” he said.

Also present were Bagan MP Lim Guan Eng and Bagan Dalam assemblyman Kumaran Krishnan.

Kumaran said the proposed crematorium would provide the Hindu community with a more organised, suitable and comfortable venue to conduct final rites in accordance with their religious customs and beliefs.

He added that the facility would also reduce the need for the Hindu community in Seberang Perai to travel to crematoriums located further away.

According to Kumaran, the additional funding followed a joint effort with Lim and Rayer, who had written to Anwar to seek further allocation so the project could be carried out more comprehensively.

He said the tender process for the approximately 4,000 sq ft crematorium had already been opened.

The project is expected to be completed by the middle of next year, after which the facility will be made available for use by the Hindu community.—Aug 23, 2026

Main image: Anwar Ibrahim (Facebook)

Subscribe and get top news delivered to your Inbox everyday for FREE