IN a groundbreaking partnership aimed at accelerating global sustainability and decarbonisation efforts, PETRONAS, Gentari Sdn Bhd (Gentari), Amazon and Amazon Web Services (AWS) have announced a collaboration that will have far-reaching implications in the energy sector.
The initiative aligns with PETRONAS’ commitment to providing affordable, low-carbon energy solutions while simultaneously reducing emissions. It also supports Amazon’s ambitious goal of achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2040.
“PETRONAS believes that collaborations such as this, which build on our long-standing relationship with Amazon and AWS and the expertise of Gentari in clean energy solutions, are vital to supporting Asia’s and the world’s transition towards cleaner energy,” said PETRONAS Project Delivery and Technology senior vice president Datuk Bacho Pilong.
He extended the invitation to like-minded partners to join forces in strengthening a sprawling innovation ecosystem that can address the many challenges along our journey to actualise a sustainable future together.
Besides, this multifaceted collaboration represents a holistic approach to sustainability, technological advancement, and socio-economic progress. Here are the key areas of exploration:
- Gentari will support the decarbonisation of Amazon’s India transportation network by working with third-party delivery service partners to further electrify their transport vehicles. Amazon has committed to deploying 10,000 electric vehicles (EVs) in its India delivery fleet by 2025, and the collaboration will also involve Gentari providing electric vehicles and accompanying fleet management services for Amazon’s third-party delivery service partners.
- PETRONAS and AWS will explore designing and constructing a state-of-the-art plant of the future that incorporates cutting-edge technology, robotics, and automation solutions similar to those used in Amazon warehouses and facilities. This is to scale existing research and development efforts by PETRONAS for the potential production of microalgae oil as a feedstock for sustainable aviation fuel.
- Amazon intends to evaluate PETRONAS’ low-carbon and alternative fuel solutions for potential integration in diverse areas such as mobility, stationary power applications, and carbon management.
- PETRONAS will continue leveraging AWS cloud technology to enhance and expand its existing and new solutions. These include SETEL, Malaysia’s first e-wallet for purchasing fuel at PETRONAS stations, and STEAR, a cloud-based logistics solution and services platform built on AWS for the offshore industry.
- AWS will continue to upskill technical and non-technical employees at PETRONAS and strengthen their digital literacy through AWS Training and Certification programmes. This is in line with AWS’ broader commitment to help develop a digitally trained workforce to power Malaysia’s digital economy.
Furthermore, AWS ASEAN managing director Conor McNamara stressed the need for immediate innovation across all industries to achieve a net-zero future. He also expressed excitement about deepening collaboration with PETRONAS and Gentari and their shared mission to build a more sustainable world through expertise and technology. – Sept 13, 2023