AMANAH national mobility chief Mohd Sany Hamzan said he will bring evidence – including documents related to the alleged expenditure of RM600 bil by former prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin – should he be summoned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
According to the Taman Templer state assemblyman, his team is in the midst of collecting evidence of the serious breach of procedure and will hand over the evidence to the authorities for further action.
“I have yet to be summoned by MACC after making a police report on Nov 30. I am ready to give full cooperation to the authorities. I will bring evidence that the serious breach of procedure did occur,” Sany told Berita Harian.
Elaborating, he said that he has only asked for the authorities to investigate the allegations fairly and impartially.
“If [the authorities could not find any evidence of] wrongdoing, we will just accept [the outcome of the investigation] but so far we have doubts about Perikatan Nasional’s (PN) excessive spending,” he said.
“This is why we lodged a police report and asked that the authorities launch a probe on this matter.”
Sany also said that his team will also submit a memorandum at Istana Negara calling on the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to support the immediate establishment of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to investigate the matter.
Yesterday it was reported that MACC had opened an investigation paper on the alleged misappropriation of RM600 bil in funds by the Muhyiddin administration.
MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki, when contacted by Bernama, confirmed the matter but declined to reveal more details on the investigation being carried out by the agency.
“Serious breach of procedure”
On Monday (Dec 5) Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said there was a “serious breach of procedure” in government spending during Muhyiddin’s tenure as prime minister.
He said this included excessive procurements, high markups as well as the money going to certain parties.
Commenting on the alleged misappropriation of RM600 bil in government funds during Muhyiddin’s administration, the prime minister said the cabinet did not discuss the issue.
He also said there was no discussion over the formation of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to probe the issue and that he would leave it to the cabinet to decide.
Earlier Muhyiddin said he does not fear being investigated over the misappropriation of funds when PN was in power.
He insisted that he had not misappropriated any of the funds when he was in the top post.
He went on to ridicule the RM600 bil figure being thrown around by those in government, saying he believed they were referring to the eight stimulus packages worth RM530 bil that he had previously unveiled.
He said of this RM530 bil, the majority of it was non-fiscal, meaning that it did not involve government expenditure.
This included the various Employees Provident Fund (EPF) withdrawal facilities introduced, the reduction in EPF employee share statutory contribution rate and loan moratoriums.
“There was no way for me to embezzle these funds because they belong to individuals or banks, they did not involve government expenditure. As prime minister, I did not have any authority over the use of the funds,” he insisted. – Dec 7, 2022
Main photo credit: Malaysiakini