BANDAR Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii Lee Wuen said he has filed an emergency motion under Standing Order 18(1) for approval to have an emergency debate on the recent bomb threats in several schools nationwide.
As of 2pm on Nov 22, 2023, the police (PDRM) reported that a total of 37 police reports had been made on bomb threats in schools across the country involving 28 international schools, seven private schools and two public schools.
“Even though security flushes were performed by PDRM at all affected schools and no evidence of any explosives were detected, this issue cannot be taken lightly as it does not only involve the safety and security of our students, teachers and staff but is also a threat to our national security,” Dr Yii said in a statement today (Nov 23).
“This is why PDRM and all relevant authorities must take all necessary actions and conduct a thorough investigation on this matter to trace and detect the source of all these threats.
“The fullest weight of the law must come upon these irresponsible quarters who threaten the safety and security of children.”
Dr Yii expressed his hopes that through his motion, the Education Ministry will conduct a briefing on their procedures and standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the event of these threats, and tighten and improve the SOPs if needed.
“It is also important for PDRM and all relevant authorities to do all necessary investigation and allay the concerns of students and parents regarding the safety and security in schools,” he added.
“We do not want to create an unnecessary panic and disrupt our children’s education in the process.”
According to Dr Yii, such acts are highly irresponsible as schools are supposed to be the safest place for students to learn and to grow.
He also said not only are these acts disruptive to the classes the students have attend but any act of targeting the safety and security of children is most despicable.
“This is why I urge for all hands to be on deck in order for us to get to the bottom of such threats and work closely as a society to make sure that our young ones are protected,” he stressed.
“I also encourage members of public to not spread or create unverified rumours that may cause unnecessary panic during this time and allow the authorities to do all that is necessary.”
On Tuesday (Nov 21) it was reported that classes came to a halt at 19 schools nationwide due to a bomb hoax email.
According to Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain, the schools are in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Penang, Perak and Negri Sembilan.
Razarudin said these schools received the same email from an account which bears the name “takstorer” and investigations had revealed that the word “takstorer” means “disruptor of peace” in German. – Nov 23, 2023