POWER supply disruptions remain high in Peninsula Malaysia due to irresponsible quarters who keep damaging electrical cables while doing roadworks.
“Despite taking numerous steps, statistics show that power supply disruption remains high due to poorly conducted roadworks by third parties.
“Last year alone, there were 459 power supply disruptions caused by third parties, which affected 499,000 users compared to 689 cases in 2019, affecting 530,000 users,” said Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) Distribution Network head (Operations) Mohd Yusof Ibrahim, in a statement.
Upset with the figures, Yusof said that in the first five weeks of this year alone, more than 45,000 users had their power supply disrupted due to negligence by third parties.
The recent case, he added, involves a case in Bukit Antarabangsa and Ukay Perdana, Ampang, where power supply cables were damaged due to roadworks done by the Sungai Besi- Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) contractors.
“Our investigation showed that power supply disruption happened on Feb 1. Unfortunately, barely after completing repair works, we received reports of the same power cables being damaged again twice, on Feb 2 and Feb 7.
“This forced us to set up a mobile power generator to supply electricity to users, while TNB repaired the damaged cables,” Yusof added.
On that note, Yusof said TNB had issued stop-work order to the highway contractor, while sending repair works bill to the latter for compensation.
“We will also look at other legal avenues to penalise the contactor. I urge all contractors to consult TNB first before conducting roadworks so that we can provide maps on where our power cables are to ensure such problems don’t arise again.
“Such proactive measures will ensure our power supply cables remain intact and reduce disruption to our users,” he remarked. – Feb 14, 2021.