A VOCAL primary school mathematics teacher who was recently threatened with a dismissal or demotion has asked why caretaker education minister Datuk Mohd Radzi Md Jidin only reached out to meet and discuss his concerns now.
This as Mohd Fadli Salleh, who works at Sekolah Kebangsaan (1) Gombak in Kuala Lumpur, has long spoken up about the national primary school mathematics syllabus being too advanced for students and there not being enough time to complete it during the school year.
Fadli added that he has tagged Radzi in numerous Facebook posts on the matter, as well as in comments on Facebook posts by Radzi and the Education Ministry (MOE), for years now.
“He has never responded, not even once,” Fadli claimed in a Facebook post yesterday (Oct 15). “Only last night he responded.”
“Why only last night?” he asked. “Why not when I was called by the (MOE’s) Ethics Unit last year? Why not whenever I tagged (Radzi) and commented on his and the MOE’s posts numerous times for many years now?”

Fadli speculated that Radzi was likely scared as the people are angry over the MOE wanting to dismiss him due to his honesty and since his comments have to do with their children’s learning.
“The people’s anger should not be played with,” he cautioned. “A country and Government may fall due to the rise of the people.”
Even so, he said: “Whatever the reason (for Radzi only reaching out now), it’s okay. I will assume that he has good intentions in trying to understand the pulse and expression of the grassroots. God willing, one fine day we will meet.”
Yesterday (Oct 15), Fadli revealed that he received a letter from the MOE stating he violated the civil servants’ code of conduct three times and disciplinary action would be taken against him as a result.
“Dismissed or demoted”
In the letter, dated Sept 22, 2022, Education Service Disciplinary Board chairman Datuk Yusran Shah Mohd Yusof recommended that Fadli be dismissed from his job or demoted for commenting about weaknesses in the Government’s policies, plans or decisions, which is a violation of Rule 19(1) of the Public Officers (Conduct and Discipline) Regulations 1993.
Yusran, who is also the MOE secretary-general, cited two Facebook posts made by Fadli last November and a Facebook live stream he hosted in the same month where he was alleged to have done so.

Among others, Fadli claimed in those postings that there were not enough public school teachers in Malaysia, students were being treated like “lab rats and robots” by having information “stuffed” into them in order to satisfy the higher-ups and there were “nonsensical” school syllabi.
Yusof said Fadli was required to provide a written representation to the MOE with reasons and proof countering the accusations levelled against him so that they can be dropped. This was to be done within 21 days of receiving the letter.
It is not immediately clear if Fadli has already done so. He has only said that he will fight the case in court “if that is destined” and appeal rulings in his case that are in the Government’s favour.
Meanwhile, Fadli thanked those who supported him in his case, adding that his finances are stable for the time being so he has not started crowdfunding efforts to pay his lawyers and cough up the court fees.
However, he said he was not sure what the future would hold as he was previously told by a Selangor state education officer that one of the Government’s “tactics” when such matters go to court is to delay trials for years on end in an effort to get the litigants to give up.
“If such a tactic is employed by them against me to the point that I cannot afford to pay my legal and court fees, perhaps I might need your help then,” he said.
He also cautioned politicians against using his case to score political brownie points, saying he is not registered as a politician or into “politicking”. – Oct 16, 2022
Main photo credit: Mohd Fadli Salleh