NATIONAL oil corporation, Petronas assured the public that it was taking all the necessary steps to protect the safety of 155 workers of its contractor on barge to the Yetagun oil rig, located off the coast of Myanmar.
“We are in close contact with the team and working with the contractor in overseeing the well-being of their workers and ensuring continuous supplies of essentials, including food, drinking water and fuel,” it said in a statement.
Yesterday, Malay daily Mingguan Malaysia reported that scores of workers on a Petronas oil rig have been stranded in the Andaman Sea, since the Myanmar’s military staged a coup on its civilian Government last week.
It was said that workers on the Yetagun oil rig have lost contact with ground control and the Malaysian embassy since Monday last week.
One worker, who has been on the platform for four months, said food and gas supplies were running out and is expected to last until Feb 10.
He added that all the workers were hired by a contractor working for Petronas and have stayed at the sea longer than the usual 40-day period, due to COVID-19.
Touching on the matter, Petronas said that it was in communication with its contractor, the Malaysian Embassy in Myanmar and Wisma Putra to resolve the matter as soon as possible.
“Thirty-six workers of the contractor and two of our employees were already transported to nearby hotels safely for onshore rest and recovery, while observing COVID-19 quarantine requirements.
“Rest assured that we take the safety and well-being of our contractors and their families as top priority,” it remarked. – Feb 8, 2021.