Police nabbed six last year for links with Daesh, threats against Dr M and Co

IN a series of new revelations, the police announced that it had apprehended six individuals between Jan 6 and 7 last year for being involved with terror organisations, Islamic State or Daesh.

The individuals, five locals and one Indonesian, has issued threats against former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir and several of his former Cabinet members for allegedly being part of a “thaghut” Government.

“In the operation conducted by the Special Branch, the individuals were also found having two Islamic State flags, a machete and knife, which has been confiscated.

“All of them are members of ‘Anshorullah at Tauhid’, an Islamic State cell established in October 2019 to promote jihad, the Salafi version. They were also actively recruiting people to launch attacks in Malaysia.

“Three of them have issued threats against Mahathir and several of his Cabinet members,” said Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador in a statement earlier this morning.

“Thaghut” is an Arabic term for those has deviated from Islamic principles.

This is the second plot against Mahathir’s life, as two days ago the police announced that they had nabbed an individual linked to the Islamic State, in the same month last year.

Bukit Aman Special Branch (E8) assistant director Azman Omar was reported saying then that the man was plotting a “lone wolf” attack not only against Mahathir but several others such as Lim Guan Eng, Datuk Mujahid Yusof Rawa and former Attorney General Tan Sri Tommy Thomas.

Since then, several Opposition leaders have question Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on why he failed to mention the matter to the public and Mahathir.

Muhyiddin was serving as Home Minister under Mahathir’s Cabinet.

On that note, Hamid said that apart from harming former Pakatan Harapan leaders, the six individuals were also plotting to launch attacks on several locations such as the casino in Genting Highlands and breweries in the Klang Valley.

“Three of the individuals arrested, including the Indonesian, has been charged Section 130 JB (1) (a) of the Penal Code for possession of banned items and has been jailed.

“However, the other three has been released based on the Attorney-General Chambers (AGC) advice. None of them had a proper plan to execute their threats,” Hamid remarked. – March 27, 2021.

 

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Subscribe and get top news delivered to your Inbox everyday for FREE