IT has been more than a month and yet the authorities have not arrested or charged Islamic preacher Syakir Nasoha for vilifying non-Muslims, said Global Human Rights Federation.
“It’s a straightforward case. The videos featuring Syakir condemning Hindus, Christians and the Buddhists are there and we have made a detailed police report on the matter.
“So, why is the police taking so long to act?” its president S Shashikumar queried when contacted by FocusM.
On Oct 3, Shashikumar and many others lodged nationwide police reports against Syakir over several videos he had posted vilifying Hindus, Buddhists and the Dayak community.
“The Prophet had said in the hadith that in the end of times, the enemies of Islam will surround you like people hungry for food. The infidels will come to kill Muslims,” he said.
Syakir added that while the “leaders” of the infidels would be Christians and Jews, there are those from other faiths who would be involved, too.
“Who are the ones bombing mosques? Is it America or Israel? No, it’s the Buddhists. Who are killing Muslims in Pakistan and India? It’s the Hindus.
“And remember people who practice those faiths are here in Malaysia too. They don’t like Islam and want to destroy us Muslims,” he stated.
Subsequently, Shashikumar and his team lodged another wave of reports on Oct 10 after Syakir defended his previous incendiary attacks, using more disparaging remarks against the minorities.
On Oct 19, Sentul district police chief Beh Eng Lai told FocusM that the case is now being handled by the Kuantan police.
“We don’t open up investigation paper and all the reports lodged here had been referred to Kuantan as investigation is being carried out there,” he said via a text message.
Public gathering mulled
Touching on the matter, Shashi Kumar said that he was informed by the Kuantan police headquarters that the case had been transferred again; this time to Bukit Aman somewhere in mid-last month.
“I was told by an investigation officer called Inspector Muhammad Rafiee on Oct 29 that the case is now being handled by Bukit Aman’s Unit Siasatan Jenayah Terkelas (USJT).”
As per the information received, he added, Syakir was being probed under Section 505 of the Penal Code for causing public mischief and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act for improper use of network facilities or network service.
“However, I don’t think the charge under Section 233 will stick as Syakir was not the one who uploaded the videos online,” Shashi Kumar opined.
Unrelenting in his attempt to bring Syakir to justice, the NGO leader said that he will be drafting an email to Bukit Aman to get updates on the case investigation.
Shashi Kumar stated that if the police continue to drag their feet, he would have no choice but to organise a peaceful gathering.
“We will also deliver a memorandum on the matter if the case remains unresolved,” he remarked. – Nov 16, 2021.